UUCM’s Social Generosity Recipient throughout March is Interfaith Outreach Community Partnership (IOCP). The most-needed items include pull-up diapers, cereal, cooking oil spray, canned meat and pasta sauce. We’ll be dropping off all UUCM donations at IOCP on March 31. For questions, reach out to Hannah Lynn, Karen Heuiser, or a member of the Social Justice team.
Category / Announcements
UUCM Summer Camp: July 31-Aug. 4
This summer, we are hosting a summer camp right here at UUCM for children entering kindergarten through 5th grade.
Days will be spent playing games and finding UU values in every-day occurrences, even in our favorite Pixar and Disney films, such as Ratatouille, La Luna, Monsters Inc., Cars and more. UUCM youth also have the opportunity to be camp counselors, earning money for future UUCM trips. There is an early bird discount if you sign up by the end of March, but the camp is still quite affordable even without the discount, and scholarships are available. For more information, contact Karen Heuiser, sign up using the link sent in Friday’s updates, CYRE newsletters or on the flyers posted in the Community Room.
Immigration Justice Update
UUSC Family Celebrations
- A Chrome Laptop was donated to the family.
- The family is on a wait list for a program offering reduced internet rates for qualifying households.
UUSC Family Needs
- Rides to dentist appointments the evening of March 21st and the morning of March 23rd. Refer to Signup Genius for additional opportunities to help the family: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4BA9A82DA6FACE9-volunteer
- Assistance studying for the Written Drivers Test in Spanish
- Technology support as they learn to navigate their Android phones and the laptop.
– Tall shelving for additional storage in their family room
– Big bath towels
– Monetary Donations to allow us to spend $200/month on groceries for their continued food security.
ONLINE/MAIL Special Donation Instructions: Online to Special Donation Campaigns using a credit card at bit.ly/giveuucm. Please put “UUSC Family” in the memo line.Mail a contribution with “UUSC Family” in the memo line to UUCM at 2030 Wayzata Blvd E, Wayzata MN 55391.You can also place checks and gift cards in the secure box near the church office door.
Questions or concerns? Contact Lori Arnold (cell 952-693-8604) or Laurie Young (cell 651-269-0362)
From the Board: March 2023
Each month, a member of the board will share a reflection on the Soul Matters monthly theme. The theme for March is Vulnerability . This month’s post is offered by Betty Hartnett.
“Vulnerability isn’t good or bad; it’s not what we call a dark emotion, nor is it always a light, positive experience. Vulnerability is the core of all emotions and feelings. To feel is to be vulnerable. To believe vulnerability is weakness is to believe that feeling is weakness. To foreclose on our emotional life out of a fear that the costs will be too high is to walk away from the very thing that gives purpose and meaning to living” (quote from Brene Brown).
Continue reading →