Fred Hulting and Rev. Lisa Friedman
As mentioned in our last update, the Board of Trustees met with Rev. Lisa last weekend to discuss a move to Phase 3 of our COVID reopening plan, which would allow us to return to regular building use with some safety protocols in place.
There are good reasons to open the church this Fall. Parents want to see the return of in-person religious education, which is more effective for children and youth. Others are seeking a worship experience that cannot be offered over Zoom. And many of us are looking forward to seeing people during social time in the community room. Still, as we are all aware, there are risks associated with the return. Risks that will change over time.
After a long discussion, the Board approved the continued work by staff and volunteers toward a Phase 3 reopening on September 12th. This is subject to finalizing the necessary policies and procedures. We will keep monitoring the situation, and pause this work if the COVID situation worsens. As we get closer to reopening, specific protocols will be communicated so you can make informed decisions about participation.
Even as we move ahead, Lisa will continue to have the authority to enact restrictions for the safety of the congregation and our staff, such as the current mask requirement for everyone in the building. Still, on September 12th we hope to:
- Restart in-person RE for Nursery through 12th grade, either downstairs or outdoors. Jennifer and the CYRE team are working with families to develop procedures that will keep our children and youth safe and healthy.
- Hold Sunday worship services in the Sanctuary, and continue to offer the services over Zoom. Our new audio and video system will allow us to share the in-person service with virtual attendees.